PURSUING DREAMS: USAPANG ONLINE BUSINESS, THE WEBINAR
For many people, especially young hopefuls, launching a successful business and "making it" online is a lifelong dream. In the first episode of our month-long event, Mr. Butz Olivarez Bartolome discussed the nitty-gritty of starting an online business and how do you pursue this dream.
For many people, especially young hopefuls, launching a successful business and “making it” online is a lifelong dream. In the first episode of our month-long event, Mr. Butz Olivarez Bartolome discussed the nitty-gritty of starting an online business and how do you pursue this dream.
When making life-altering decisions, there are many concerns to confront — and establishing an online business can bring on a slew of overwhelming emotions. That’s why you’re gonna need all the help you can get for this journey. Mr. Butz Bartolome, for example, is one of many persons who are willing to assist others who are just starting out in their own businesses.
According to Mr. B, there are 6 things you need to consider before starting a business:
- Self – According to Mr. B, The Business Franchise Guru, the first thing you have to consider is yourself. Not the business, not the items you would like to sell, but you have to begin by considering yourself first. He emphasized that, before starting a business, you must consider your own personality and the characteristics that you need to develop as a person. This is a necessary trait to have, especially when selling in front of a live audience [on considering live selling].
- Business Idea – “Pinagisipan mo ba? Do you have the right idea?” These were the questions he asked. The business idea is probably the most important element when starting a business. This is the foundation. “Look for something unique,” this is Mr. Butz’s suggestion. The next thing is to believe in this idea. Do not be kept down by “negatrons” and don’t be one to yourself.
- SWOT Analysis – After you build yourself and after you’ve developed a solid idea that you believe in. It’s time to put it to the test and evaluate using the technique of SWOT analysis. Simply put, assess your idea’s STRENGTHS, WEAKNESSES, OPPORTUNITIES, and THREATS. This will help you in further reinforcing your ideas as you turn them into a reality.
- Start Small, Dream Big – “Teka muna, baka madapa ka. When you learn how to walk, a baby crawls first.” Once you have the idea in mind, you’ve refined it, and you now have the confidence to really put your plan into action—it’s time to take those ‘baby steps’. It is alright to dream big but do start small. With this, your steps might be small but they are more likely sure-footed. In each step, you’ll eventually gain the momentum you need to soar to new heights.
- Seek and Ask Guidance – “Huwag mahihiyang magtanong”, Mr. Butz repeatedly reiterated that there’s no problem with asking and if you ask, ask straight to the point. “Ask and you shall receive; seek, and you shall find; knock, and the door shall be opened to you,” this is one of Mr. B’s Bible mottos that he lives by. Should the need to seek help arise, know that there is no shame in looking for guidance—just always remember to thank the people who helped you along the way.
- No FEAR – “False Events Appearing Real”, for him this is what “FEAR” means. Set aside any doubts you may have about the future and events that have not yet occurred. Fear is what prevents us from taking action, therefore put it aside and believe in yourself. This is the only way you can move forward.
Mr. B has definitely imparted a great set of advice that should definitely help those who are aspiring to set up a business of their own. If you want to know more of Mr. B’s words of wisdom when it comes to being a business owner, he has several books out including the award-winning Is Franchising For You as well as 35 TIPS On Business and Nowhere But Up.
Watch the full episode of The Usapang Online Business here and stay tuned for more episodes. The Philippine Online Student Tiangge airs on Facebook live every Saturday, starting October 16, 2021. Catch more of Mr. B’s content by following his social media accounts:
Youtube: Business Franchise Guru
Next episode, October 30, 2021, we will be joined by a student thrift store owner, RTW reseller, and a baybayin graphic-tee designer. We will hear their inspiring stories on how they manage to be a student and an entrepreneur at the same time. This is part of the 6-episode series of The POSTiangge, a program that aims to feature student and teacher entrepreneurs who are working twice as hard in the face of the pandemic.