SBP TO INCLUDE 15 TO 18 PBA PLAYERS IN GILAS POOL, DECLINES TO NAME PROS
Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) has already finalized its list of PBA players that will be included in the big Gilas pool for the third window of the 2021 FIBA Asia Cup Qualifiers in Clark, Pampanga.
Despite confirming the move, Commissioner Willie Marcial did not reveal the names of the players from the pro league yet.
“Nagbigay na sa amin ng mga pangalan pero hindi pa namin puwedeng ilabas kasi kakausapin pa namin ‘yung mga teams at kakausapin pa namin ‘yung mga players,” said Marcial.
According to SBP President Al Panlilio, the Gilas Pilipinas pool for the last window will be put in another bubble-type environment adding more to the reason for declining to name the pros.
“That’s why we don’t want to release the names of the PBA players yet. The SBP is cognizant of the sensitivities surrounding such an announcement. And because of the bubble, some of those players might not want to go,” Panlilio told Inquirer.
However, Bobby Ray Parks, RR Pogoy, Troy Rosario, and Poy Erram of Tropang Giga, as well as Japeth Aguilar of Barangay Ginebra and Matthew Wright of Phoenix Super LPG were mentioned to be part of the pool.
Last year’s special Gilas draftee Isaac Go, Matt and Mike Nieto, Rey Suerte, and Allyn Bulanadi are also included in the 18-man PBA player pool.
Moreover, CJ Perez and Christian Standhardinger of Terrafirma are likely to take the naturalized player spot.
With Junemar Fajardo and Terrence Romeo being out due to injuries, Marcio Lassiter will be expecting a call-up at San Miguel.
Filling up the spots for the big 29-man Gilas pool are the cadets that were called up during the second leg of the Asia Qualifiers.
The Philippines will play South Korea twice and Indonesia once on the last window of the qualifiers on February 18-22.