UE STUDENTS SEEK CHED HELP ON DISQUALIFICATION OF SCHOLARSHIP GRANTS
A STUDENT group from the University of the East-Caloocan asked the Commission on Higher Education to look into the disqualification of first-time scholars.
Saida Manap, Central Student Council president, wrote to CHED Chairman Prospero De Vera III, urging him to address the students’ concerns.
“We implore your good office to intervene in the University’s prejudicial course of action. On March 23 — without any official announcement, memorandum, or email to the students by the administration — the student publication revealed that 90% of first-time academic scholars were disqualified without a clear given basis,” Manap said.
“We have full intention to exhaust legal means to protect the rights of the students, and now we humbly seek the intervention of the Commission. The students plead for your understanding and concern,” she added.
On March 29, the students also filed a complaint before the Senate Committee on Higher, Technical and Vocational Education seeking an investigation of the issue.
Manap said that over 1,000 students were dismayed by the school’s decision.
The student body said that learners have asked school officials for a dialogue but got no response.
Earlier this month, University President Ester Garcia announced that scholarship grants will be suspended until further notice.
According to the student body, only 10 percent of freshmen students of UE qualified for scholarships for the second semester of Academic Year 2020-2021.