Student Guide


“But don’t you need an ID to get… an ID?” Good question. If done right, you won’t have to go through that struggle of not having the prerequisites needed to get your government IDs if the basics are to be followed. To help guide you become a responsible member of society, here’s your practical guide.

/ 2 October 2020

You just graduated in college, you set out to the real world thinking you have it all figured out. While that may be true for some, one challenge post-graduation is having all necessary government IDs ready. Whether using it for employment, travel, financial obligation, or even as proof of identity when going to a bar, among others. For whatever reason, you’ll need them eventually, and there’s no running from the admittedly taxing task of falling in line and getting all your citizen identifications and registrations ready.

“But don’t you need an ID to get… an ID?” Good question. If done right, you won’t have to go through that struggle of not having the prerequisites needed. To help guide you become a responsible member of society, here’s a list of requirements, what to get first, where to get them, and before you know it, you’ll have a collection of IDs in your wallet helping you navigate to adulthood.



Before anything, the most common documents needed are your birth certificate and student ID. Chances are you probably already have them. If you don’t have a copy of your NSO issued Birth Certificate, you can order here. As for the student ID, you’ll need the most recent one and should be signed by the school authority.



Cedula is also known as a Community Tax Certificate (CTC), a document issued to individuals or corporations upon payment of community tax. This one is easy! 

  1. Head to your local barangay hall
  2. Fill out an application form
  3. Pay the applicable fees, and
  4. Affix your thumbprint

Now that you have your newly issued cedula, get a Barangay Clearance as well! You’ll need it as a prerequisite and proof of address when applying for a Postal ID, Voter’s ID, and (if applicable) PWD IDs.


POSTAL ID (Secondary ID)

This is one of the fastest to get and you can use it for anything requiring gov’t-issued IDs; all you need is your birth certificate or a school ID and proof of address (cedula or barangay clearance). Both of which we’ve covered above. Head to the nearest post office and it should be done in no time! 

Application forms are available in all post offices or you may download it here.



Part of being an adult is having a paper trail officially attached to you to protect yourself. Having NBI clearance means that you have no legal offenses against you, to protect you and your family from fraud, in case of mistaken identity, among others. 

This used to take more time than usual but since they’ve applied the “No Appointment No Entry Policy”, this helps them prioritize and streamline workflow. However, you still have to make a physical appearance to complete the process though.

  1. Go to NBI clearance website
  2. Fill out necessary info
  3. Choose which ID to present as validation
  4. Decide which NBI Headquarter is the most convenient for your
  5. Pick your desired payment option
  6. Take note of your Reference Number and amount to be paid
  7. Accomplish payment, then
  8. Head to the scheduled appointment you set with two (2) valid IDs—your chosen one, and one picture ID with a signature.


TIN (Primary ID)

Tax Identification Number from the Bureau of Internal Revenue is a number you get for the rest of your life. It is a form of identity and you need it for, well, tax purposes. If you’re applying for a job for the first time, your employer will be the one to get a BIR TIN for you. Take note of that for future purposes. But even if you’re unemployed, part of Executive Order 98 is to secure a TIN for government transaction purposes.

  1. Go to the BIR RDO assigned to your place of residence or employment
  2. Print and fill out the appropriate application form. If you’re unsure, you can ask the officer in charge at the BIR and they’ll be able to assist you
  3. Bring a copy of your PSA/NSO Birth Certificate


SSS, Pag-IBIG, and PhilHealth (secondary ID)

Just like your TIN, one of the foremost requirements of being part of a workforce is making sure you have these three; SSS, Pag-IBIG, and PhilHealth. A government-imposed employee benefit for cash and housing assistance. Each has respective government offices, but they usually have long queues. A more convenient option is getting your membership at a Government Express Service Center. There are several one-stop satellite centers in shopping malls like SM Aura, SM Mall of Asia, SM North EDSA, and AliMall. Just bring the following documents:

  • Any valid primary ID (Passport or TIN)
  • PSA/NSO Birth Certificate
  • Postal ID
  • Proof of employment (if any)



This was probably one of the hardest IDs to get as there’s usually long queue lines, but ever since they started online scheduling, it’s been a breeze!

  1. Schedule an appointment online 
  2. Fill up the application form online
  3. Gather the required documents
    • Original and two (2) photocopy of your PSA Birth Certificate (not the NSO one)
    • Bring either one (1) primary picture ID or two (2) secondary picture IDs to prove your identity
  4. Head to the scheduled appointment