All student-athletes from the University of Santo Tomas (UST) will continue to enjoy their scholarships even after the cancellation of UAAP Season 83 for the second semester of the current academic year.

/ 11 January 2021

In a report of The Varsitarian, Fr. Rodel Cansancio, Institute of Physical Education and Athletics (IPEA) director, confirmed that their student-athletes will be continuously granted with scholarship despite the prior news that scholarships granted during the second semester of the academic year (AY) 2019-2020 would be valid until the first term of 2020-2021, which ended in December.

“It’s true that UST will retain the scholarships of our student-athletes for the 2nd term of AY 2020-2021,” said Fr. Cansancio as quoted by The Varsitarian.

“In this time of pandemic and uncertainties, no student should be left behind.”

UST’s athletics moderator Rodrigo Sambuang told The Varsitarian that 579 collegiate and 330 high school student-athletes would benefit from the scholarship extension by the Dominican school.

“All scholarships given last [term] will be offered the same this [term],” said Sambuang.

Sambuang also uttered that the UST would do away with the “team A, team B” system, and reserves for each sport would be placed on training pools instead.

Student-athletes committed to training pools would remain scholars of the University, he affirmed.

Moreover, according to UST Tracksters head coach Manny Calipes, having their scholarships being extended by the university inspired his players to train harder even though the competitions are still out of sight.

Nag-New Year conference ‘yung team to express their gratitude sa school. We are all in high spirits and they are already sending training videos this week without being told,” he told the Varsitarian.

Last December, the UAAP board announced that they decided to put on hold the league’s 83rd season citing the health and safety of student-athletes as Covid-19 cases in the country continued to increase.

But, UAAP Executive Director Rebo Saguisag in December said a September 2021 kickoff is possible if things stabilize by that time.