THE PHILIPPINE SCIENCE HIGH SCHOOL SYSTEM IS LOOKING FOR ITS LATEST BATCH OF GRADE 8-9 SCHOLARS
The country's top science high school is accepting scholarship applications for upcoming Grade 8-9 students from June 15 to July 30, 2021.
Following the exciting news of Philippine Science High School (PSHS) graduates bagging scholarships at some of the world’s most prestigious universities, including Yale University, PSHS has announced that it’s opening up its own admissions for a new batch of promising students across the country. With 16 campuses scattered around the Philippine map, the Department of Science and Technology-run school system is home to some of the brightest young Filipino students in science, technology, engineering and mathematics-oriented (STEM) studies. It’s considered to be one of the best education systems in the country for these fields, and it’s free admission as a state-owned institution.
With this, PSHS proudly opens its doors to the next generation of bright minds with the invitation to “Be a Pisay Scholar!”
Starting June 15, PSHS is accepting applications for Grades 8 and 9 for School Year 2021-2022 through its PSHS – Lateral Admission Qualifying Exam (LAQE). Students who have finished Grades 7 and 8 (under the high school curriculum or the new K-12 curriculum) outside the PSHS System can apply for entry if they fulfill the following qualifications, according to the announcement post:
- A Filipino citizen with no pending application as immigrant to any foreign country;
- Belongs to the upper 5% of his/her class or should have a grade of 85% and above in all subjects;
- Should have a character rating of at least Very Satisfactory (VS) or its equivalent; and
- Must pass the qualifying examination in each of the following three (3) subjects: Mathematics, Science, and Communication Arts (English).
Applications are open until July 30, 2021, and interested applicants are encouraged to submit the following documents and requirements to the nearest PSHS Campus or via email:
- A filled-up application form with an attached certification from parents of no pending application for immigration in any foreign country;
- Certification from the school which the applicant is currently enrolled in, detailing academic grades and character rating (included in the application forms);
- A photocopy of the applicant’s report card, with the original copy brought along to the campus, to be verified by the PSHS System Admissions Office;
- Two (2) recent 1×1 pictures; and
- A non-refundable processing fee of Php300.00.
As mentioned above, applicants can submit the hard copy to the nearest PSHS campus registrar and pay the processing fee to the campus cashier. The announcement also noted that they can go the digital route to minimize physical contact and potential exposure to COVID-19 by downloading the application form at https://www.pshs.edu.ph/. Once accomplished, they can send the form to the campus where they will be applying.
Image lifted from Philippine Science High School System Facebook
PSHS also notes that they will no longer issue a LAQE test permit for the online examination, scheduled to be held on August 24, 2021. The Admissions Office and/or the campus registrar will email to applicants their respective LAQE details to access the online exam.
With the number of recent PSHS graduates headlining national news because of their astounding achievements in obtaining prestigious overseas scholarships, it can be expected that a lot more scholars will apply to the institution this year. After all, it’s no small feat to earn admissions, let alone full scholarships, for some of the world’s most respected universities, including the likes of Yale University, Duke University, New York University, and so many more.
You too can be one of these brilliant minds under the mentorship of Philippine Science High School.
For more information, you can reach out and follow the PSHS System Office of Admissions thru: