MERALCO SUSPENDS DISCONNECTION ACTIVITIES IN AREAS UNDER ECQ AND MECQ
Urges customers to reach out regarding billing and payment concerns
The Manila Electric Co. (Meralco) said on Tuesday that it is again suspending disconnection activities in the Province of Laguna beginning August 1 to 15 and the National Capital Region (NCR) from August 6 to 20, 2021. The announcement cacame after the Government placed NCR on ECQ from August 6 to 20 and the Province of Laguna on MECQ from August 1 to 15.
The rest of Meralco’s franchise area remains under GCQ with Heightened Restrictions particularly Bulacan, Cavite, the Province of Rizal and Lucena City from August 1 to 15, while Batangas and Quezon Province remain to be under GCQ for the month of August.
“Given the current situation, we continue to take into consideration the challenges our customers are facing amid these difficult times. Thus, we will again suspend all disconnection activities in NCR and Laguna to help ease the burden of our customers with the needed relief and additional time to settle their bills,” Ferdinand O. Geluz, Meralco FVP and Chief Commercial Officer, said.
He added, “We encourage customers, particularly those with concerns with their previous bills, to reach out, so we can discuss and help clarify their concerns and to even come up with payment terms, if really needed. We also have several platforms by which you can reach us. We hope customers will also take advantage of this period to avoid the inconvenience of having to queue long lines once the ECQ is again lifted.”
For customers in areas under GCQ, Geluz assured that Meralco will continue to be very considerate during this period and vowed to assist customers with their concerns.
Meralco reiterated that it will continue vital operations such as meter reading, following the order of the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC), and will also continue to work round the clock to serve its customers.
“Meralco business operations, including meter reading and bill delivery activities, will continue throughout the ECQ. Our continued operations will ensure that actual consumption for the month will be billed accordingly. But rest assured there will be strict implementation of health protocols in order to safeguard the health and safety of both customers and our personnel,” Geluz said.
The ERC, in an advisory last year, encouraged customers who can pay to settle their bills within the original due date “to help manage the cash flow in the energy supply chain and ensure the continuous supply of electricity.”
In minimizing the risk of exposure to COVID-19 and ensuring everyone’s safety, Geluz reminded customers to always keep safe and advised customers to use Meralco’s various digital platforms such as Meralco Online and Meralco App, Facebook Messenger, Twitter, call its 16211 hotline and book an appointment through the Online Customer Appointment (OCA) system before going to Meralco Business Centers (BCs). Meralco BCs will be on skeleton workforce, for any inquiries and concerns on billing and payments as a precaution to the rising number of COVID-19 cases.
Meralco BCs will remain open to accept payments, applications and customer assistance. Business hours will be from 7am to 3pm, in compliance to IATF guidelines, from Monday to Friday and 7am to 12pm on Saturdays.
“Meralco crews will also continue to be on standby 24/7 to respond to any emergencies and reports,” Geluz added.
Meralco’s customer touchpoints include the Meralco website at www.MERALCO.com.ph, and its social media accounts on twitter @MERALCO, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/MERALCO, and the Meralco Hotline at 16211. Customers can also send emails to [email protected]