MERALCO EXTENDS NO DISCONNECTION ACTIVITIES UNTIL END OF APRIL
The Manila Electric Co. (Meralco) said on Monday that it is continuing the suspension of all disconnection activities in its franchise area until April 30, 2021 following the Government’s announcement placing the National Capital Region, Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna and Rizal under a Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine (MECQ) until the end of the month.
“Given the ongoing pandemic situation and the latest quarantine measures, and always conscious of the challenges our customers are facing amid these trying times, we will continue to put on hold all disconnection activities until April 30 2021,” Ferdinand O. Geluz, Meralco FVP and Chief Commercial Officer, said.
He added, “We hope this extension will help lessen the burden of our customers and provide enough relief and time for them to settle their bills.”
Geluz said that Meralco will continue to be very considerate during this period and vowed to assist its customers in need of help with their concerns.
Meralco once again reiterated that it will continue vital operations such as meter reading, following the order of the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC), and will also continue to work round the clock to serve its customers.
“Meralco business operations, including meter reading and bill delivery activities, will continue throughout the MECQ,” said Geluz. “Our continued operations will ensure that actual consumption for the month will be billed accordingly. But rest assured there will be strict implementation of health protocols in order to safeguard the health and safety of both customers and our personnel.”
The ERC in an advisory last year encouraged customers who have the ability to pay to settle their bills within the original due date “to help manage the cash flow in the energy supply chain and ensure the continuous supply of electricity.”
Meralco once again encouraged customers to send a personal message (PM) via Facebook Messenger, Twitter or call its 16211 hotline before going to Meralco Business Centers (BCs), which will be on skeleton force, for any inquiries and concerns on billing and payments as a precaution to the rising number of COVID-19 cases. This measure ensures that customers can save time and effort, but more importantly, minimizes any potential and unnecessary exposure to the virus.
The distribution utility announced that BCs will remain open to accept payments, applications and customer assistance. Business hours will be from 7am to 3pm on skeleton workforce in compliance to IATF guidelines from Monday to Friday and 7am to 12pm on Saturdays.
“Meralco crews will also continue to be on standby 24/7 to respond to any emergencies and reports,” Geluz added.
Meralco’s customer touchpoints include the Meralco website at www.MERALCO.com.ph, and its social media accounts on twitter @MERALCO, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/MERALCO, and the Meralco Hotline at 16211. Customers can also send emails to [email protected].